cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad mdwriter app created multiple file copies when Dropbox was offline

iPad mdwriter app created multiple file copies when Dropbox was offline

autologout
Explorer | Level 4

I was working offline in mdwriter (simple markdown editor) on Dropbox files while in airplane mode. I went back into normal mode when inside a corporate network wifi where apparently Dropbox is blocked. The Editor showed errors syncing the files that I had modified and also created 2-3 copies of each of them. Question: can Dropbox present itself as „offline“ if a firewall does not permit it to sync normally? Anyone know what is happening here? In the Dropbox the files were showing as 2 weeks old (last time I modified them), so the editor did not / could not modify them in Dropbox (but tried to, and when failing, saved copies, I assume).

Later when I disabled the wifi and used cellular data, all of the copies synced & showed up in Dropbox correctly. The original 2 modified files are still not modified in Dropbox and the editor can‘t seem to save them.

12 Replies 12

Mark
Super User II

Yes, if Dropbox cannot sync it will show as offline - so if the WiFi is blocking Dropbox it wont sync. 

If you end up with conflicted copies you need to manually patch everything back together. The original file will not update or change - it has saved the updates as a conflict as it believes the original file is out of date to what is local, i.e. it has newer data that the one you are using. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

autologout
Explorer | Level 4

autologout_0-1712591962481.jpeg

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @autologout, as the app wasn't able to connect to the Dropbox servers to update the file, you should have differing versions of the files. Do you have the updated versions of the files in that app? Are you able to upload them manually to your Dropbox account via the mobile app?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

autologout
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, I did have many versions of the file, I did not lose data. But the only way to stop copies from getting created was to actually delete the original file, otherwise it was hung on that file and kept generating copies even when fully connected again. I think that the helper / service app is not detecting its online status correctly. I think that the corporate network is blocking some, but not all ports, so that it thinks it’s online but it really is not. This leads the markdown app to try saving, failing, and going into its “keep saving forever” loop. I would prefer that Dropbox defaults to “offline” since pure offline mode works fine (i.e. when in airplane mode etc.). This semi-not-connected mode feels dangerous, and multiple copies of files make me nervous about losing data : )

autologout
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Jay  This does seem to be a real error. Using a laptop (Win 11) on the same network give similar problems with MarkdownMonster. Dropbox shows a grey icon with “Connecting”. It cannot write, gets confused, and half-saves files and creates backup copies. I think that Dropbox sees some ports, thinks that it is online, shows itself as online, but when asked to sync files it fails doe to some (not all) ports being blocked. Since the behavior is consistent across the iPad app and Win11 I think there is a real problem here. If not all required ports are responding, Dropbox should report itself as offline, then the programs work normally as expected and sync later. Even if it is still connecting, it should report itself as offline to other apps.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @autologout - sorry to jump in here, but could you clarify if the issue is not present when switching off airplane mode and connecting to a network that you know for sure isn't blocking Dropbox somehow?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

autologout
Explorer | Level 4

@Walter Yes, I can definitely confirm that on the iPad in airplane more and on the laptop with WiFi off everything works as expected. I can save the files and they get synced correctly when back online. If you can give me a list of ports to check I can try ssh’ing to them to see which ones are blocked and which ones are open so you can reproduce the port constellation. Will SSHing to them work as a test?
Is it these ports?

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/configuring-firewall

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @autologout, the ports in the article you linked, are the ports that Dropbox requires access to, in order to function correctly.

Can you give access to those ports, to see if that helps with your issue?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

autologout
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Hannah sorry, no… this is in a corporate network with a BYOD access. I have zero influence over the ports.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    autologout Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?