cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have editing permissions but can't edit a file; says it's 'read-only'

I have editing permissions but can't edit a file; says it's 'read-only'

GarfField
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to edit a .docx file but am unable to, both from the web browser and the word document itself. I have downloaded the Dropbox desktop app and am not able to edit it when opening from there either. The file shows that I have permission to edit the file but when I open it, it will only open in "read only" mode. 

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @GarfField, thanks for reaching out to us.

The 'read-only' property on a file that's saved to your computer, is not Dropbox related, it's a setting you can change through your computer's settings.

Are you on a Windows or Mac computer?

And can you also clarify what issue you have editing the file through our website?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CGH7
New member | Level 2

Hi Hannah - new question but related to this one.  I'm on a Macbook Pro.  Open document from Dropbox to Word for Web which is in 'read only' mode but it asks me if I want to convert to Edit mode, which I click convert (I have the permissions to do this).  Used to be fine - would just open as Edit mode and I could copy the doc or whatever.  Now that convert to edit is on a continuous loop in Word for Web.  I click convert, it does but for a millisecond then pops up with the prompt to convert to edit? yes. convert to edit? yes....never staying on the edit version in Word.  

Mark
Super User II

Hi @CGH7 

Have you tried clearing cache/cookies and temp internet files?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    CGH7 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?