cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: files stay here for the team

"files stay here for the team" prevents me from moving files from team to personal folder

msakten
Helpful | Level 6

I - a TEAM ADMIN - cannot move files or folders from a team folder, to my personal (i.e. ADMIN) folder. I get an incredibly annoying message "files stay here for the team". How do I get around this?

53 Replies 53

msakten
Helpful | Level 6

I'm very relieved (albeit sadly) to see so many people share their frustrations relating to this idiotic 'feature'. As if having to deal with this issue wasn't enough, it was extra infuriating having Dropbox support gaslight me first by suggesting that I was doing something wrong, and then that this was expected and desired behaviour, for my own benefit. ðŸ˜ 

Angela1204j
Helpful | Level 5

My thread had been merged with this thread, and I have already read this thread, so I posted my thread in the hope that Dropbox will come to its senses and remove this insanely annoying feature. So has it been disabled? Because copying then deleting is asking for mistakes (such as deleting the wrong file) to happen.

Angela1204j
Helpful | Level 5

As team admins, we honestly do. not. care. if "other team members" lose access to that data. For smaller organisations, there is the options of simply getting up from one's desk, walking over to the other person's desk, and asking. That "for the team" should be an OPT IN option for larger organsation, not some fixed, unchangeable default. TURN IT OFF NOW

Angela1204j
Helpful | Level 5

It seems to be a recent update issue and the only thing that can probably be done is to overwhelm the Dropbox people into TURNING IT OFF NOW

mgambrell
Collaborator | Level 8

As a workaround you can open two windows, copy from one, tab to the other, paste there, and if it worked, tab back to the original window and delete the files which should still be selected. In case you want to get work done while dropbox fiddles.

UsernamesAreUnnecessaryAndDumb
Helpful | Level 6

This Dropbox guy, like most of them, is a bit dim.

Helpful | Level 6

I believe this, like many other Dropbox "features", is designed to discourage downgrades. 
"Nice files you have there, be a shame if anything happened to them"

Helpful | Level 6

Gaslighting is actually a feature we've just launched, but has also always been part of the product, so this is the expected behaviour.  Could you send a screen recording of the problem?

Helpful | Level 6

On a MacOS I can't even COPY folders from TEAM to PERSONAL.

msakten
Helpful | Level 6

>> Gaslighting is actually a feature we've just launched, but has also always been part of the product, so this is the expected behaviour.  Could you send a screen recording of the problem?

I - as admin of this thread - need to be able to like this response multiple times. Liking it only once is not enough.

Need more support?